As winter is near , the trekking world is gearing up for the famous chadar trek in Ladakh. And I as one of the guide and leaders to run and lead this expedition put down my experience , how to manage the cold during this days of sub zero temparature. Here are some quick tips.
1. Acclamatisation to the cold is very neccesary. Hence reach Leh atleast two days before starting for the trek. You will be a little used to the cold and hence would enjoy more shivering less.
2. Take night walks at leh to get accustomed to the cold more. You are no more afraid of the bonechilling breezes of cold.
3. Carry hot-bags with you for the trek. A hot bag is a small leather bag able to store warm water or hot water. Not only in will help you to preserve water at night but also you can use it to warm your beds in tent by simply keeping it inside your sleeping bag as you go to sleep.
4. Avoid drinking water too much before you go to sleep. The too much water can force you to go for pee too often and then you are obviosly getting cold frequently. If you are inside your sleeping bag and stay for a time it gets warm easily but time and again doing it is hard , if you go out and come back again.
5. Wear layers of clothes rather than just good jackets. For example , wear two tshirts inside above a thermal , put a sweater on it and round off by your heavy jacket at last.
6. Breathe in from your right nostril. This is a yoga process you can learn from youtube that can warm you up instantly. Practiced by the monks sitting in those monastries in the cold .
7. Avoid washing face or using water till the sun hits the ground in morning. No matter how much you are habituated with things in a day to day life , avoid practicing those on trek such as chadar. Its not a ordinary day in your life and you must change.
So , if you think you are ready to handle all this why don't you dare to do it this time with me ? Join up for chadar trek soon!!.
Note from the Author,
" Travel made me rich and free. Magic and miracles are true , once you wander on the roads to places different and divine. I have collected so many thoughts and stories while being a Tour & Trek guide for last seven years. Sharing with you all, those memories and stories , and wishing you all , that someday you guys travel far and wide too. I am not a great writer , so ignore my grammar and spellings, read it with feelings, and you might just be affected with the wanderlust to hit the road"